- 1 tbsp rock salt
- 2 tbsp cracked black peppercorn
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- small bunch rosemary, finely chopped
- small bunch parsley, chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3kg rib of beef on the bone
For the gravy
- 2 onions, sliced
- 250ml red wine
- 400ml fresh beef stock
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Mix the rock salt, peppercorns, garlic, rosemary, parsley and olive oil. Rub this mixture all over the beef rib then place in a roasting tin. Put in the oven and cook for 30 mins, then turn the oven down to 160C/140C fan/gas 3 and cook for a further 1 hr 20 mins. Remove from the oven, transfer the beef to a board, cover with tin foil and rest for 30 mins before carving.
- While the beef rests, make the gravy. Pour off all but 2 tbsp of fat from the roasting tin and reserve any juices. Fry the onions in the roasting tin over a medium heat for about 10 mins, then add the wine, stock and reserved juices. Keep cooking for a further 10 mins to reduce to a thick sauce, season well and serve alongside the roast beef.
WANT TO GET AHEAD?
The herb & pepper mix for the beef can be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge.